Wednesday, January 9, 2013

Annabel Lee and Wisdom

A little while back some of the artists at work were doing weekly challenges for fun with themes to use as inspiration. Here are a couple I completed.
One was to illustrate Annabel Lee:
"...For the moon never beams without bringing me dreams
Of the beautiful Annabel Lee;
And the stars never rise but I feel the bright eyes
Of the beautiful Annabel Lee;
And so, all the night-tide, I lie down by the side
Of my darling- my darling- my life and my bride,
In the sepulchre there by the sea,
In her tomb by the sounding sea."

Edgar Allan Poe
I liked the idea she was in a watery grave and her lover comes back to mourn her. I'm always fond of the depressing stories!
Another was based on this proverb:
"Out in the open Wisdom calls aloud,
she raises her voice in the public square; on top of the wall she cries out,
at the city gate she makes her speech:
“How long will you who are simple love your simple ways? How long will mockers delight in mockery and fools hate knowledge?"
(Proverbs 1:20-22 TNIV)" 

I wanted to go with the sadness wisdom must feel when no one listens. And since owls are often associated with wisdom, that was my train of thought. Plus I just wanted to draw an owl ;)
Hope you enjoy and thanks for stopping by!

No comments: